Chlorine dioxide Legionella
Chlorine dioxide is a gas in solution and made from the combination of sodium chlorate and an acid. Chlorine dioxide is less corrosive than chlorine and more effective at a high pH value. Due to the formation of chlorite and chlorate, no more than 0.2 mg/L of chlorine dioxide may be present in drinking water (higher concentrations are harmful to the public health). In older drinking water installations the use of chlorine dioxide can pose risks for explosion. Additionally, chlorine dioxide has an influence on the taste and smell of the water and the residual effect is small. In the Netherlands, and in other countries, the use of chlorine dioxide is prohibited.
Frequently asked questions
Besides the Legionella bacteria, copper silver ionization also combats E-coli, Hepatitis A, Pseudomonas, and Cryptosporidium.
Unlike most chemical water treatments such as chlorine dioxide, the copper and silver ions are not corrosive to metal pipes including copper, PVC, galvanized steel and aluminium piping. In fact, the copper ions from the ICA system can help plate and rejuvenate your pipework. Therefore, with the ICA system, corrosion is a thing of the past.
Based on the water consumption level, the Legionella contamination and a location scan (management history and water analyses), ATECA can recommend a suitable system.
Every location qualifies for a copper silver ionisation system. However, the combination with other water treatment techniques need to be taken into consideration, because one might outrule the other. Additionally, different countries have different regulations about the use of copper silver ionisation. Feel free to contact us for more information about the regulations in your country.
It is true that copper silver ionisation can leave a greyish residue behind in sanitary facilities. However, this occurs only at 10% of the locations, primarily in old and damaged plumbing. Besides, it is not dirty or unhygienic, it is a natural reaction of quicklime, silver ions and oxygen. Once the location is Legionella safe, the silver concentrations can be reduced which ultimately decreases the greyish residue. Furthermore, the greyish residue is easy to clean and not permanent.
When the copper has attacked the cell membrane of the bacterium, the silver can adhere to the cell nucleus and stop the bacterial growth. Silver is the only noble metal that contains antibacterial properties.
The ionisation takes place with the aid of copper and silver electrodes. A small concentration of copper and silver ions are carried through the water and will do their work in the entire drinking water installation.
The Legionella bacteria becomes a problem when it start multiplying. We can speak of a Legionella contamination when more than 100 cfu/L Legionella is detected in the drinking water installation.
The Legionella bacteria naturally occurs in soil and in freshwater, usually in low numbers. However, the Legionella bacteria can grow very fast in water, especially if it is stagnant water between 25°C and 45°C.
The Legionella bacteria poses a serious threat to many businesses and institutions. Legionella (pneumophila) is a bacterium that causes Legionnaires’ disease or the Legionella flu, a dangerous and sometimes even deadly form of pneumonia. Infection with the disease may occur when people inhale small water droplets or aerosols containing the bacteria. Shower, sprinklers, hot tubs and similar water installations form a particular risk. Choking in contaminated water can also lead to infection; by which the contaminated drinking water can end up in your lungs.
Browse through the topics in our library to find your answer